Super simple and Irresistible Chocolate Brownies
Melted butter, for greasing
250g butter, chopped
250g good-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ½ cups caster sugar
4 eggs, lightly whisked
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
1 quantity warm fudge sauce (see recipe below)
100g milk chocolate, melted
Prep time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes cooking
Cooking time: 35 mins
1. Preheat oven to 170C fan forced (180 C conventional). Grease a 20 x 30cm (base) slab pan with melted butter. Line base and sides with baking paper; allowing an overhang along both long edges.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over a low heat, stirring constantly until almost melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the sugar (don't worry if mixture becomes a little grainy at this stage). Add eggs and vanilla and whisk mixture until smooth. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa together over the chocolate mixture, then gently stir in until combined. Stir in the pecans. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre has moist crumbs clinging.
4. Cool completely in the pan. Carefully lift onto a serving plate.
5. Make the warm fudge sauce, then allow to stand 10-15 minutes to cool and thicken slightly. Spread over the brownie, then drizzle over the melted milk chocolate. Cut pieces with a warm knife to serve.
Warm fudge sauce:
Break 200g good quality dark chocolate into squares and put into a heatproof bowl. Add 100ml thickened cream. Put mixture over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring constantly until mixture is melted and smooth.
To make fudge sauce in the microwave, set power to High/100% and microwave, uncovered, in 1 minute bursts, stirring every minute until melted and smooth.