Three Quick And Easy Homemade Treats Your Neighbours Will Love This Christmas
Christmas time is all about sharing and caring. Giving gifts, sharing moments and being surrounded by the people we hold dearest. But during the festive period, we often get caught up in the chaos of preparing for family gatherings, buying gifts and cooking, that we don’t stop to appreciate the things that really matter most.
Take your neighbours for example. If you’re fortunate enough to have a good relationship with your neighbours, Christmas time is the perfect time of year to give thanks for their friendship and all the things they do for you.
So, if you’re thinking of giving your neighbours something special this Christmas and feel like showcasing your creative flair, we’ve got a few simple (and delicious!) homemade gift ideas they’re guaranteed to love.
Nothing tastes better than jam on toast or freshly made scones, especially when it’s homemade. So, this Christmas, why not showcase your culinary skills by whipping up a jar or two of delicious strawberry jam for your neighbours to enjoy?
If you’re apprehensive to try preparing your own jam, we’re here to tell you that it’s not as complicated as it sounds! Here is a recipe for you to try and it only requires three ingredients!
And because you’re bound to have leftovers, we think you’ll enjoy it just as much as your neighbours will.
3kg strawberries, hulled and halved
3kg white sugar
Juice of ½ a lemon
1. Place strawberries in a pan and stir in the sugar. Leave to sit for about 1-2 hours or until the sugar has softened the fruit.
2. Add lemon juice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until soft.
3. Remove 1/3 of fruit and set aside. Cook remaining mixture until fruit is dissolved. Divide reserved fruit between maison jars and then fill with jam. Allow to cool before sealing.
4. Tie a piece of Christmas ribbon around the lid of the jar or decorate however you wish.
An age-old Christmas classic, Rum Balls are a delicious treat to have at this time of year. They’re so easy to make, and even if your neighbours don’t like rum, substituting the liquor for another liquid will still result in a batch of yummy treats.
To make rum balls (or non-alcoholic balls), simply combine weet-bix, condensed milk, mixed fruit, cocoa and rum and roll in desiccated coconut.
Then, as an added extra before you gift out your delicious rum balls, pick up a few pieces of cellophane and ribbon, select a few rum balls and tie together like a Christmas gift.
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
½ cup mixed fruit
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp rum (or for a non alcoholic version, substitute rum for vanilla)
1. Mix ingredients together and place mixture in fridge until set
2. Roll into balls and toss in desiccated coconut
And last, but certainly not least, we have Christmas bark. A quick and easy treat to prepare, Christmas bark is a delicious post-lunch or mid-afternoon snack to accompany a cup of tea or coffee and we think your neighbours will love it!
The best part about Christmas bark is that you can alter the recipe according to what ingredients your neighbours (and you) like best. And you can also make Christmas bark using any kind of high-quality chocolate, making Christmas Bark a superb gift for the people in your street.
1 block of your favourite chocolate
Assorted nuts or dried fruits (hazelnuts, pistachios, peanuts, craisins, raspberries)
1. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals until completely melted.
2. On a tray lined with baking paper, pour melted chocolate and spread until it’s about 5mm thick.
3. Sprinkle dried fruit and nuts over the chocolate and place in the fridge to set
4. Cut up into pieces and placed into a cellophane bag with ribbon tied around it.