Every Day - Steamed Bread
3 tbsp sugar
250ml (1 cup) warm water
1 ½ teaspoons dried yeast or 10g (quarter ounce) fresh yeast
400g (3 ¼ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
2 tbsp oil
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1. Dissolve the sugar in the water, then add the yeast. Stir lightly, then set aside for 10 minutes, or until foamy.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and add the yeast mixture and the oil. Using a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients to a rough dough. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. If it is very sticky, knead in a little more flour – the dough should be soft.
3. Lightly grease a bowl with the oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it so that all sides of the dough are coated.
4. Cover the bowl and set aside to rise in a draught-free place for 3 hours.
5. Uncover the dough, punch it down, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. If you are not using the dough straight away, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
6. When you are ready to use the dough, flatten it and make a well in the centre. Place the baking powder in the well and gather up the edges to enclose the baking powder. Pinch the edges to seal. Lightly knead the dough for several minutes to evenly incorporate the baking powder, which will activate immediately.
7. Use the prepared dough as directed.