Environment and Sustainability
Sustainability at Stockland is about ensuring we leave the communities and environment where we operate in good shape for future generations. In line with our purpose, we’re committed to creating shared value for all our stakeholders and to delivering 'a better way to live'.
With our development here at Green Hills we have a unique opportunity to help create the right balance of social, environmental and economic conditions for our communities, customers and investors now and in the future. We’re working towards achieving this by implementing a host of new initiatives, some of these include:
Reducing Carbon Emissions by saving energy and reducing vehicle exhaust:
We will achieve this through the installation of LED lighting, large scale solar PV system, Park Assist guidance system to reduce the time taken for car space searching, energy efficient air conditioning, building management systems, high absorptive insulation and environmentally considered finishes and architectural features.
Improving water management and quality by recycling and reducing water usage:
We will do this by collecting rainwater via our new 450,000 litre onsite rainwater detention tank, installing waterless urinals, 6-star rated tapware, and water efficient showerheads and toilets. Further water management improvements will be made with the installation of intelligent metering to detect overuse and provide leakage alarms, in addition to subsoil irrigation in our gardens with timers and moisture sensors.
Improving waste management by facilitating recycling and minimising volume:
We will achieve this through implementing an improved recycling plan, improving waste storage and removal facilities, installing efficient hand dryers to reduce paper towel waste and monitoring retailer waste management.
Improving health and wellbeing by increasing healthy lifestyle activities in centre:
We will work towards this by improving accessibility and amenity for customers with an inclusive approach to public spaces, play areas and facilities, increasing focus on fresh food cooking and eating, with ongoing commitments to the Heart Foundation Walking group and the introduction of new healthy living programs.
Improving community connections by expanding our community activations and offers:
We will do this through increasing in-centre community activations, introducing free WiFi, creating breakout zones and community meeting places. The community grants program supporting local community initiatives will be extended into the future.
Improving education opportunity by supporting training initiatives and inspirations programs:
We are doing this through our support of the ARA Retail Ready training program and collaboration with Multiplex to provide training and employment opportunities in construction through the Connectivity Centre. A work inspirations program will be rolled out in conjunction with local high schools in the future.
Our Green Star rating will be achieved through various specific initiatives including but not limited to:
- Energy efficient LED lighting with occupancy sensors
- Energy efficient central air conditioning plant
- More renewable energy with a larger 1000 kW solar PV system
- Maximised use of natural day light
- Tuning of building services for optimal performance
- Water efficient toilets, tapware, showers and waterless urinals
- Rainwater collection and recycling of fire test water for toilets, irrigation and air conditioning
- Water and energy metering systems to monitor building performance
- Recycle at least 80% of demolition and construction waste
- Improved air quality through increased fresh air rates
- Low volatile organic compound flooring, paints and adhesives
- Sustainable timber products
- Provision of waste storage area for recycling
- Electric vehicle charging station.