One of the best ways to find happiness is to do something nice for others, so why not celebrate today with a ‘random act of kindness’?
The idea of ‘random acts of kindness’ started in the early eighties with Anne Herbert, who simply wrote, "Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty" on a placemat in a Californian restaurant. Since then it’s become an international movement of spontaneously doing something nice for a stranger, just for the sake of it.
Here are some great ways you can make someone’s day:
- Pay for the person behind you, whether you’re at a tollbooth or in line for coffee. Offer your change if the person in front comes up short
- If you see someone who’s lost or needs help, stop to help him or her out
- Give away your clothes you don’t wear anymore to charity
- Don’t ignore the homeless person on the street - buy them a sandwich, or a coffee
- Put your change in an expired parking meter
- Write a letter to someone. Even a long email will do!
- Leave your change in the vending machine and buy someone else a treat!
- Offer someone a lift
- Send flowers to a friend, for no reason at all
- Put your shopping cart back in its place
- Bring a cake or plate of muffins to share at work
- Leave a generous tip for a pleasant waiter
- Say "Hello" to someone.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.