Whether it’s spiked with alcohol or drenched in chocolate, a nice grownup cuppa can be the perfect accompaniment while writing out your Christmas list. Check out our top 10 grown up festive beverages – there’s something here for everyone!
The ultimate hot chocolate | Serves 2
The best hot chocolate uses good quality chocolate melted gently through milk, and this recipe is the real deal!
- In a medium sized pot heat 500ml of whole fat milk with 3 tablespoons of brown sugar until it begins to simmer.
- Add 150ml of good quality dark chocolate and stir until the chocolate melts, making sure not to let the milk boil over.
- Finish the chocolate with a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom and a sprinkle of salt flakes and top with a small handful of mini marshmallows.
Chai Tea | Serves 4
Made from scratch, this chai recipe is a real treat when you are up late organising Christmas for the family.
Mulled red wine | Serves 4-6
- Into a small roasting dish place 4 cinnamon quills, 8 cardamom pods, 6 black peppercorns, 4 cloves and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Dry roast in a hot oven set at 200C for 10 minutes before placing all the spices into a medium sized pot along with 1200ml of whole fat milk, 2 heaped teaspoons of brown sugar and 2 heaped tablespoons of loose leaf black tea.
- Heat the chai slowly on a medium heat for 45 minutes to fully infuse the flavours, before straining the liquid into warm mugs and serving.
The fruity and spicy goodness of mulled wine is such a wonderful Christmassy way to enjoy a glass of your favourite red whatever the weather!
- Thinly slice 2 whole oranges and 1 lemon with the skin still attached. Place these into a medium sized saucepan and add 150g of brown sugar, 5 cloves, 5 cardamom pods, 2 cinnamon sticks and 2 bottles of a fruity red wine.
- Add a good grating of nutmeg along with 150ml of ginger wine.
- Ever so slowly bring this mixture to a gentle simmer and serve warm with a cinnamon stick and extra orange peel.
Snow white | Serves 2
This is an adults-only version of a milky bar in a cup! If you like white chocolate, you’ll love this decadent festive beverage.
- Heat 500ml of full fat milk in a medium sized saucepan with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Once the milk starts to simmer add 180g of good quality white chocolate and allow the chocolate to melt through the milk by stirring continuously.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cornflour and whisk through followed by 60ml of Malibu white rum. Pour the chocolate into mugs and top with a spoon of stiffly-whipped cream.
Mulled cider | Serves 3-4
If you like mulled wine, you’ll swoon for our mulled cider! Think hot apple pie in a mug, with a pinch of spice.
- Into a medium sized pot heat 1 litre of good quality cider with the juice of 2 oranges, 3 cloves, 2 star anise, 1 cinnamon quill and 4 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook gently for 10 minutes before serving in warm mugs.
Cinnamon glow | Serves 4-6
This is a hot toddy without the toddy! More like a ‘mock toddy’, with herbal tea and spices for a wonderful guilt free festive treat.
- In a large pot add 2 litres of water and 8 bags of your favourite herbal tea. Add 4 slices of fresh ginger root, 2 cinnamon sticks and ⅓ cup of honey. Bring all these ingredients to a gentle simmer and leave for 30 minutes to allow the flavours time to infuse.
- Add 1 whole lemon sliced thinly and cook for a further 5 minutes on low. Serve warm in mugs with an extra slice of lemon for garnish.
Super special coffee | Serves 1
A lovely Viennese style coffee that will keep you awake and put you to sleep at the same time!
- Heat 150ml of milk until it simmers and pour into a cocktail shaker along with 60 ml of freshly brewed espresso style coffee.
- Add 30ml of Baileys irish cream and 30ml of Kahlua. Shake vigorously and pour into a fancy coffee mug and top with stiffly whipped cream.
Spiced hot chocolate | Serves 2
This adults-only hot chocolate is warmed with pepper and a dash of tequila to spice things up a little!
- Heat 500ml of whole fat milk in a medium sized saucepan with 1 cinnamon stick, 6 crushed pink peppercorns and 4 tablespoons of agave nectar. Add 200g of good quality dark chocolate and stir continuously to melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate has melted and the liquid is smooth, remove from the heat and add 60ml of tequila.
- Serve immediately while hot and finish with a spoon of stiffly whipped cream and a couple of crushed pink peppercorns.
Honeyed hot toddy | Serves 1
For those who dream of a white Christmas, no festive drinks list would be complete without a hot, honeyed, whiskey toddy. the manuka honey in this toddy will soothe the soul as you dream of snow falling on Christmas Eve (when you may really be dreaming of stronger air conditioning!)
- Into a large warm mug add 1 tablespoon of manuka honey along with 4 cloves, 1 cinnamon quill and 1 star anise.
- Pour over ¾ cup of boiling water and 45ml of whiskey.
- Squeeze a wedge of lemon into the mug and stir until the honey has melted.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.