Are you at a loss for what to give your Valentine this year? Whether they’re particularly hard to buy for or simply partial to something sentimental, we’ve found the perfect present. Made with love and the most basic household materials, this DIY delight is a sure-fire hit.Take your partner on a journey as they experience gifts for each of their five senses – smell, sight, touch, taste and sound. Ultra-personal and unique, this is a gorgeous gesture they’ll never forget.
There’s nothing quite like the scent of freshly cut flowers. Watch the smile erupt on your significant other’s face as they arrive home to a room filled with flowery goodness. And surprisingly, it’s a whole lot simpler than it looks. While the flowers may only bloom for a short time, the memory of this sweet surprise will last a lifetime.
Product list: Bed Bath N’ Table Ecoya Sweet Pea & Jasmine Mini Madison Jar $19.95, The Reject Shop 2 Roll Of Twine $2.50.
1. First, create a base by attaching a tree branch to a piece of twine and hanging it on a hook on the wall.
2. Next, cut twine into 1-metre long pieces to attach to the flowers.
3. Hang flowers from the branch at varying lengths.
4. Cut away any loose twine and voila!
Catch your partner’s eye (and heart) with an ultra-cute ‘I love you’. Decorate a board, mirror or wall with as many sticky notes as you can find and fill them with little love notes. List all the many reasons why you adore them, or follow our lead and tell them that you love them in every language imaginable – talk about a sight for sore eyes!
• Sticky notes
• Cork board
Product list: Woolworths Marie Claire Magazine $8.50, Woolworths Post It Super Sticky Sticky Notes Heart Design $3 each, The Reject Shop Noteworks Cork Board $10, Novo Antoinette Clutch Nude $59.95, Target One Enchanted Evening Book $10, Bed Bath N’ Table Ecoya Sweet Pea & Jasmine Mini Madison Jar $19.95, Sportsgirl Brush With Fame 7-Piece Brush Set $24.95, Sportsgirl Loathing Sunnies Clear $39.95.
1. Select a spot to set up – ideally, a corkboard, photo frame, blank wall, or even your bathroom mirror.
2. Research how to write ‘I love you’ in as many languages as possible and write them on separate sticky notes.
3. Position the notes all over the space, creating a masterpiece that means more than most.
Spoil your special someone with the ultimate luxury experience – and no, we don’t mean a trip to the spa. Transform your tub into the day spa of their dreams with a homemade bath bomb. Soaking in the bubbles of their signature scent, your extra effort won’t go unnoticed.
• 1 cup baking soda
• 1/2 cup citric acid
• 1/2 cup Epsom salts
• 3 tsp coconut oil
• 5 drops lavender essential oil
• Bath bomb mould
• 1 tsp water
• Large bowl
• Small bowl
Product list: Woolworths Epsom Salts $6.30, Woolworths Thursday Plantation Lavender Oil $15, Woolworths Only Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil $5, Bed Bath N’ Table Morgan & Finch Potted Lavender In Basket $16.95.
1. In a large bowl, combine the baking soda, citric acid and Epsom salts.
2. Next, combine the coconut oil, water and lavender oil – feel free to swap lavender for your partner’s favourite flavour.
3. Slowly whisk in the oil mixture to the salts, adding water if it feels too dry.
4. Fill one half of the bath bomb mould with the mixture.
5. Close the two halves of the mould together and leave to set for 5 minutes.
6. Remove it from the mould and transfer to an old towel to dry overnight, and your gift is good to go!
It goes without saying that chocolate dipped strawberries are undeniably delicious. Get inventive and indulge your lover with a dessert that not only tastes great but looks good to boot! Curate a pink ombré platter complete with every kind of garnish for never ending kudos.
• White chocolate
• Pink food colouring
Product list: BigW Cadbury Dream White Chocolate $3 each, Woolworths Strawberries $2.50 per punnet, Woolworths Dollar Sweets Fairy Toppings $6, Woolworths Shmallows Mallows Mini Assorted $2.
1. Divide the white chocolate into four separate bowls and melt.
2. Add pink food colouring to three of the four bowls, in varying amounts to create three shades of pink, leaving the last bowl white.
3. Dip two or three strawberries in each of the four bowls, coating them completely.
4. Arrange in order of increasing depth on a platter and decorate with different kinds of sprinkles.
5. Refrigerate for one hour or until set, and then serve as a post-dinner snack.
Take a look at just about every old-school rom com ever made, and you’ll notice one consistent gift – a mix tape of course! While cassette tapes (and even CD’s) are now almost obsolete, the gesture remains as endearing as ever. For a modern spin on a classic gift, why not create an iPhone playlist for your partner filled with your special songs?
• List pad
Product list: Sportsgirl Listen Up Earphones Rose Pink $14.95, Sportsgirl Multi Phone Cover $12.95, Typo Gem Sticker Pack $4.99, Typo Alphabet Stickers Set $9.99, Typo Make A List Pad $6.99, Woolworths Lindt Lindor Strawberry & Cream Bag $7
1. Make a list of your partner’s favourite love songs on the list pad and decorate with stickers.
2. Replicate this list for real on your partner’s iPhone (or your own) and hit play for the perfect soundtrack for a romantic night in.
For more Valentine's Day inspiration, view our Valentine's Day Dinner Inspired By Movies recipes.