The sauerkraut in this winter warmer adds the most unique zing and texture to the dish. The addition of the smoky meat adds a terrific flavour to this traditional Polish meal.
1. Melt the butter with the oil in a large casserole dish or saucepan set over a moderate heat.
2. Season the pork sausage with salt and pepper before browning in the butter and oil. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
3. Reduce the heat slightly before adding the onion, red pepper, caraway seeds, bay leaves, and a pinch of salt. Sweat until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
4. Stir in the spices, cook for 1 minute, and then return the pork sausage to the dish. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a further 2 minutes until just darkened.
5. Gradually stir in the stock and then the potatoes. Bring to a rapid simmer before reducing to a very gentle simmer for about 30-40 minutes until the potato is very tender to the tip of a knife; add more stock as needed to maintain the correct consistency.
6. When ready, stir the sauerkraut into the soup. Warm through before adjusting seasoning to taste with more salt and pepper as needed.
7. Ladle into warm serving bowls and top with a pinch of paprika before serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 5 mins
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 Hungarian-style pork sausages, e. g. kolbasz, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, cored, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 1/2 chicken stock, plus extra as needed
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 600g | 3 cups readymade sauerkraut
- Freshly ground black pepper
14 Winter Warmer Soup Recipes
Leek and Potato Soup
Red Lentil Soup
Spinach Soup with Lemon
Asian Soup with Bok Choy and Prawns
Green Bean Soup
Mussel Soup with Mushrooms
Cream of Mushroom Soup with Curry and Parsley
Colourful Vegetable Soup
Cream of Jerusalem Artichoke Soup