Make the most of fresh Australian haddock to create this twist on a classic. Make a large batch and there will even be enough for dinner the following night too. This recipe reheats beautifully in the oven.
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200° fan) | 425F | gas 7.
2. Combine the milk and cream in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat and then add the fish. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Remove the fish from the poaching liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove the poaching liquid from heat and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes.
4. After cooling, whisk in the parsley, egg yolks and then the Cheddar. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
5. Grease a round baking dish with the butter. Arrange the poached fish and sliced mushrooms in the dish and then top with layers of the sliced potatoes, seasoning between the layers.
6. Pour over the Cheddar sauce and then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to stand briefly before serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member
to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
- 700 ml whole milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 450 g | 3 cups skinless cod, pin-boned and diced
- 225 g | 1 1/2 cups smoked, dyed haddock, pin-boned and diced
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 80 g | 3/4 cup Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 150 g | 2 cups button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 750 g | 5 cups new potatoes, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
20 Quick Dinner Ideas Making Midweek Easy
Artichoke and Tomato Linguine
Asparagus with Egg
Bruschetta with Feta
Calamari and Bean Salad
Chicken Liver Pate
Cold Baby Marrow Soup
Easy Fish Pie
Fettuccine with Basil
Penne with Chorizo
Polenta with Chicken Breasts
Roast Pork Flank
Salad with Carpaccio
Spaghetti with Rocket