Have the satisfaction of making your own dough with these easy mini pizzas. The fresh orange segments will add a beautiful citrus flavour and is the perfect complement to creamy ricotta cheese.
1. For the dough: Place the yeast in a small bowl and add 175 ml of the warm water. Stir briefly and set aside for 5 minutes, stirring in 1 tbsp of the sugar after 2 minutes.
2. Combine the remaining sugar with the flour and salt in a separate mixing bowl and stir well.
3. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Start to mix and then gradually add the remaining warm water to the bowl, mixing until a rough dough comes together.
4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until almost smooth.
5. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with an oiled piece of clingfilm, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
6. After rising, preheat the oven to 230°C (210° fan) | 450F | gas 8. Turn out the dough and punch it down.
7. Divide into four and roll out on a lightly floured surface into approximate 15 cm | 6" wide rounds.
8. Arrange between two floured, rimless baking trays and cover loosely with more oiled clingfilm. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
9. After rising, preheat a barbecue to a moderately hot temperature.
10. For the toppings: Spread the tops of the dough with the ricotta. Top with orange segments, pistachios, and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt.
11. Once the barbecue is preheated, brush the grates with some olive oil.
12. Carefully slide the dough onto the barbecue. Cover with a lid and let cook for 2 minutes until the bases are starting to brown.
13. Remove the lid and check the undersides of the dough; they should be starting to brown. If not, cover again and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
14. Once browned, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes further until the pistachios are toasted.
15. Carefully remove the pizzas from the barbecue and let stand briefly before slicing and serving.
2 hour 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 300 ml warm water, at ~43° C | 110F
- 1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 450 g | 3 1/4 cups strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing and drizzling
- 250 g | 1 cup ricotta
- 2 oranges, peeled, pith removed, and segmented
- 100 g | 3/4 cup unsalted pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
5 Pizza Topping Ideas for Every Occasion
Cured Pork, Red Cabbage & Apple Pizza
Ham & Olive Pizza
Pear, Blue Cheese & Cranberry Pizza
Ricotta & Orange Pizza
Salmon & Fennel Pizza