1. For the sponges: Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375F | gas 5. Grease and line the bases of two 23 cm | 9" springform cake tins and one 15 cm | 6" springform cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Combine the flour, cornflour, and half the sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir well and set aside.
3. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt in a large, oil-free mixing bowl to soft peaks.
4. Slowly beat in the remaining sugar until the mixture is thick and glossy, 6-8 minutes.
5. Gradually beat in the flour mixture to make a smooth batter, follower by the rosewater. Divide the batter between the prepared cake tins.
6. Bake for 25-40 minutes, rotating the tins halfway through baking, until risen and dry to the touch on top; a cake tester or toothpick should come out clean from their centres. The larger sponge will take longer. Remove to wire racks to cool.
7. Once cool, turn out from their tins and trim their tops flat with a serrated bread knife, if needed.
8. For the meringue: Beat the egg whites with the salt and cream of tartar in a large, oil-free mixing bowl until softly peaked.
9. Combine the sugar with 4 tbsp water in a saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
10. Bring to the boil and cook until the syrup reaches 121°C | 250F on a sugar thermometer.
11. Remove the hot syrup from the heat and gradually whisk into the egg whites in a slow, steady stream until thick, glossy, and cool to the touch; 6-10 minutes usually.
12. For the filling: Whip the cream with the icing sugar and rosewater in a mixing bowl until semi-stiff peaks form.
13. Place one large sponge on a chopping board and top with two-thirds of the cream, spreading it out evenly.
14. Sit the second large sponge on top, pressing down gently to adhere to the cream.
15. Split the smaller sponge in half, cutting horizontally through it with a serrated bread knife.
16. Sit the bottom half of the sponge on top of the cake, spreading its top with an even layer of whipped cream.
17. Sit the second smaller sponge on top, pressing down gently to adhere.
18. Spread the top and sides of the cake with the prepared meringue, using a damp, offset spatula for best results.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 45 minutes
- 125 g | 1 cup plain flour
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 450 g | 2 cups caster sugar
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 225 g | 1 cup caster sugar
- 350 ml whipping cream
- 40 g | 1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp rosewater