1. For the sponges: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line a 20 cm | 8" square cake tin and a 15 cm | 6" square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat together the ingredients for the sponges, apart from the kirsch, in a large mixing bowl until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Divide between the prepared tins, smoothing the tops with the back of a damp tablespoon.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, rotating the tins halfway through, until risen and springy to the touch; a cake tester should come out clean from their centres. The larger sponge will take longer.
5. When ready, remove to wire racks to cool.
6. Once cool, turn out from their tins and trim their tops flat with a serrated bread knife, if needed.
7. Horizontally split the larger sponge in half, placing the base piece on a cake stand. Split the smaller sponge into three pieces, cutting carefully through the sponge. Drizzle each sponge piece with some kirsch.
8. For the filling: Toss the blueberries with the lemon juice and caster sugar in a mixing bowl. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
9. Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl until semi-stiff peaks form.
10. Spread about one-quarter of the cream over the top of the sponge on the cake stand. Arrange some blueberries and blackberries over the cream in an even layer.
11. Top with the top half of the larger sponge, pressing down gently to adhere. Top with more cream and then sit the bottom half of the smaller sponge on top.
12. Spread with more cream and top with more blueberries and blackberries. Top with the second piece of smaller sponge.
13. Spread with more cream and top with a layer of blueberries and blackberries. Top with the final piece of small sponge.
14. To decorate: Sprinkle over the dark chocolate curls and top with the remaining blueberries and blackberries.
15. Decorate with mint leaves and decorative flowers, if using, before serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 15 minutes
- 325 g | 1 1/3 cups margarine, softened
- 300 g | 2 1/3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 60 g | 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 325 g | 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 ml kirsch
- 225 g | 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 40 g | 1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 450 g | 3 cups blackberries
- 3 - 4 tbsp dark chocolate curls
- mint leaves
- decorative flowers, optional