1. For the vanilla cake: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a 1 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Thoroughly stir together the sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the egg, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract, beating well until a batter starts to form. Gradually beat in the hot water until incorporated; the batter should be thick and smooth.
4. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin, gently rapping it on a flat surface to help settle the batter.
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes until risen and dry to the touch; a toothpick should come out clean from the centre when ready.
6. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, turn out from the tin.
7. For the chocolate cake: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a 2 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
8. Thoroughly stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
9. Beat together the sugar and melted butter in a separate mixing bowl until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
10. Beat in the eggs, one by one, until fully incorporated. Beat in the vanilla extract and then gradually beat in the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk, until the batter is thick and smooth.
11. Cut the vanilla cake into eight even slices. Using a small rabbit-shaped cookie cutter, cut out rabbits from the cake slices; you can also do this freehand with a paring knife.
12. Arrange them standing up, side-by-side, across the base of the prepared 2 lb loaf tin. Spoon the chocolate cake batter on top, covering the vanilla cake rabbits completely.
13. Rap the tin on a flat surface a few times to help the batter settle around the vanilla cake.
14. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake is dry to the touch and risen; a toothpick should come out clean from the centre of the chocolate cake.
15. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, turn out from the tin and arrange on a chopping board or tray.
16. For the ganache: Combine the chocolate, cream, and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl. Set it over a half-filled saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth.
17. Remove from the heat and let the ganache cool for 5 minutes. Spread it over the top of the cake and sprinkle with chopped pistachios before slicing and serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
2 hours 25 minutes
- 200 g | 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 165 g | 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 125 g | 1/2 cup sour cream
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 ml hot water
- 250 g | 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 60 g | 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 375 g | 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 180 g | 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml milk