If you’re in search of an easy-to-bake recipe and are a lover of everything chocolate, you can’t go wrong with these Christmas cookies. The ultimate combination of chocolate, pecans, and sweet summer cherries, these fudgy bites are made even more delicious when warmed up – who could resist! Not to mention, they’re gluten-free and can be frozen right up until December 25, to enjoy as a Christmas afternoon snack while you watch the kids play in the backyard.
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan set over a medium-low heat. In the meantime, whisk together the flour mix, buckwheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Pour the melted butter into a large mixing bowl and add bothsugars, thoroughly whisking until no longer lumpy, about 1 minute.
3. Beat in the egg and then egg yolks, one at a time, until thoroughly incorporated. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Fold in the flour mixture using a spatula until no streaks of flour are left. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
4. After chilling, preheat the oven to 190°C (170°fan) | 375F | gas 3. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Scoop out ice cream scoops of the dough, rolling them into balls. Place spaced apart on the trays, sixper tray. Press pecan halves and cherries into each, very gently flattening them out with your fingertips.
6. Bake until edges are golden-brown and centres are slightly puffed, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool on their trays for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to finish cooling.
Gluten-free plain flour mix is available from large supermarkets, specialty food shops, and from online retailers.
Can be frozen
Prep and cook time:35 min | Chilling time:2 h
- 120 g | 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into eight pieces
- 80 g | 2/3 cup gluten-free plain flour mix, see Tips
- 65 g | 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 40 g | 1/3 cup gluten-free cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 130 g | 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 120 g | 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g | 1 cup pecan halves
- 125 g | 3/4 cup canned or preserved cherries, in syrup, drained
6 Simple & Tasty Christmas Cookie Recipes
Almond Christmas Cookies
Christmas Ornament Cookies
Decadent Pecan Brownie Cookies
Easy Chocolate and Pecan Nut Cookies with Cherries - Gluten Free
Traditional Christmas Cookies
Vegan Chocolate Cookies for Christmas