If you’re in need of an extra dish to fill your table, you can’t go wrong with a traditional trifle. Complete with fresh strawberries and thick vanilla custard, you can rest assured that even the biggest sweet tooth will be satisfied.
1. To make the custard, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a large bowl. Place cream and vanilla in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and gradually pour over egg mixture, whisking until combined. Pour custard mixture back into same saucepan and return to medium heat. Cook, whisking, for 10 minutes or until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
2. Meanwhile, prepare jelly as per instructions on packet. Stir in an extra 250ml water then refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Meanwhile, whisk cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.
3. Spoon jelly into the base of a 3L (12 cup) capacity serving bowl along with half of the defrosted mixed berries. Brush slices of sponge roll with rum, sherry or apple juice then arrange around side of serving bowl and on top of jelly. Spoon over remaining defrosted berries then top with custard.
4. Arrange cut strawberries around side of serving bowl on top of the custard, then decorate top with whipped cream, fresh berries and mint leaves.
For more Christmas inspiration and recipes, visit www.stockland.com.au/christmas
1 hour + 4 hour refrigeration
- 2 x 85g packets of raspberry jelly crystals
- 600ml thickened cream
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 500g frozen mixed berries, defrosted, drained
- 400g jam sponge roll, cut into 12 slices
- 125ml dark rum, sherry or apple juice
- 1 x150g punnet raspberries
- 1 x 150g punnet blueberries
- 1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, halved
- Mint leaves, to decorate
- 10 egg yolks
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 600ml pure cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split, or 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
Chilli & Garlic Prawns
Fresh Berry Trifle
Honey Donut Cake
Glazed Roast Veggies
Classic Roast Turkey
Salmon With Sea Salt
Miguel Maestre's Summer Pavlova
Peri Peri BBQ Chicken And Corn
Sweet Potato And Butternut Squash Tart