Nothing smells or tastes quite like Christmas until the first batch of gingerbread has been cut, baked and then devoured (most of the time in one sitting)!
The great thing about gluten-free gingerbread is everyone can enjoy it – dietary requirements or not. Despite being wheat-free, there’s no sacrifice on those scrumptious gingery and cinnamon flavours.
Don’t be afraid to get creative – pick up a Christmas-themed cookie cutter to make some shapes, such as stars, candy canes or Christmas trees, for that festive touch. Gingerbread biscuits also make tasty gifts for all your family and friends. Let your dough cool down before placing the cut-outs into cellophane bags. Tie the bag up with ribbon and add a sprig of mistletoe for extra effect.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Beat in the egg followed by the warmed treacle. Stir together the flour mix, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum, spices, and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the creamed butter mixture in three additions until a soft, even dough forms.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 0.75 cm | 0.333" thickness. Use a star-shaped cutter to cut out star shapes from the dough.
6. Arrange between the trays, spaced apart. Bake for 12-16 minutes until puffed and dry to the touch on top.
7. Remove the trays to wire racks, letting the gingerbread cool on the trays.
8. When ready to serve, dust with a little more ground ginger if desired.
For more everyday inspiration, updates on the latest fashion trends of 2019 and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
- 175 g | 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g | 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 75 g | 1/4 cup treacle, slightly warmed
- 275 g | 2 1/4 cups gluten-free plain flour mix, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp ground ginger, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt