Looking for a fun activity to do at home this Halloween? We've got you covered with these cute Halloween Ghost Biscuits recipe.
1. For the biscuits: Stir together the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar with an electric whisk, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the egg yolk, vanilla extract, and lemon zest, beating well to incorporate. Fold in the flour mixture and ground almonds, mixing to a soft dough. Shape the mixture into a disc, wrap in clingfilm, and chill for 1 hour.
3. After chilling, preheat the oven to 170°C (150° fan) | 325F | gas 3. Grease and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 2/3 cm | 1/3" thickness. Use ghost-shaped cutters to cut out about 12 ghosts in total; you can also work freehand with a paring knife if you don't have a ghost-shaped cutter.
5. Arrange on the baking tray, spaced apart. Bake for 16-24 minutes until set and light golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and transfer the biscuits to wire racks to cool completely.
6. For the icing and decoration: Combine the icing sugar, meringue powder, and 1 tbsp warm water in a large mixing bowl.
7. Beat with an electric mixer until the icing is thick and glossy, about 6-8 minutes. Gradually thin out the icing to a runny, flooding consistency by gradually beating in a little more warm water until the right consistency is achieved.
8. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes until most of the air bubbles have dispersed. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a thin round nozzle.
9. Using the white icing pen, pipe around their borders to create borders.
10. Working carefully, flood the biscuits with the icing by piping from the outside inwards to the centres. Let them set and dry overnight.
11. The next day, decorate the biscuits using the black fondant icing and the white icing pen for their eyes. Tips: Meringue (egg white) powder, icing pens, and lustre dust are all available online or from speciality cookware/baking stores.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
2 hours 15minutes (+12hr 30 min - settling time)
- For the biscuits:
- 250 g | 1 3/4 cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 g 1/2 cup shortening, or unsalted butter, softened
- 125 g | 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 125 g | 1 cup ground almonds
- For the icing and decoration:
- 400 g | 3 cups icing sugar, plus extra as needed
- 2 tbsp meringue powder, or egg white powder, see Tips
- 60 g | 1/4 cup black fondant icing white icing pen, see Tips