1. Cream the butter with the sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and smooth, about 3 minutes.
2. Beat in the egg followed by the vanilla extract and milk until thoroughly incorporated.
3. Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Add to the creamed butter mixture in three parts, stirring well between additions until you have a smooth dough.
4. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
6. Roll out the chilled dough to 0.5 cm | 0.25" thickness on a lightly floured work surface. Use heart-shaped cookie cutters to cut out varying sizes of heart-shaped dough.
7. Arrange half of the dough pieces between the baking trays. Top with teaspoons of the jam and cover with the remaining pieces of dough.
8. Use your fingertips to carefully seal the edges of the biscuits by pressing together; you may need to wet the perimeter of the dough with a little water using a damp fingertip.
9. Lightly brush their tops with some of the beaten egg yolk wash. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, depending on size, until golden on top.
10. Remove from the oven and carefully thread skewers through the bottoms of the biscuits. Let them cool on their trays.
11. Dust lightly with icing sugar before serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 150 g | 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g | 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 225 g | 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 350 g | 1 1/2 cups strawberry jam
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- wooden skewers
- icing sugar, to serve