Back to ideas wall
Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter pudding with Meringue Topping
1. Butter 6-8 ovenproof teacups.
2. Slice open the buns and spread one half of each with the butter. Replace the tops and cut into pieces. Divide evenly between the teacups.
3. Whisk together the egg yolks, eggs, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl.
4. Heat the milk in a pan to a simmer. Pour through a sieve onto the eggs and whisk together to create a custard.
5. Pour over the buns in the teacups and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
6. Heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) 350°F gas 4.
7. Place the cups in a roasting tin and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cups.
8. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until puffy and golden.
9. For the meringue topping: whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, whisking continuously, until stiff peaks form and the mixture is thick and glossy.
10. Spoon the meringue over the puddings. Return the puddings to the oven for 5-7 minutes, until the meringue is set and just tinged golden brown.
6 - 8
1 hour 40 minutes
- 5 - 6 hot cross buns
- 55 g | 1/4 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 55 g | 1/4 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 unwaxed lemon, finely grated zest
- 550 ml milk
- For the topping:
- 2 egg whites
- 110 g | 1/2 cup caster sugar