1. Stir together the flour, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. In another mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar with an electric whisk, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the egg yolks, lemon extract, and half the lemon zest, beating well to incorporate. Fold in the flour mixture and ground almonds, mixing to a soft dough.
4. Shape the mixture into a disc, wrap in clingfilm, and chill for 1 hour.
5. After chilling, preheat the oven to 170°C (150° fan) | 325F | gas 3. Grease and line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
6. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 0.5 cm | 0.25" thickness. Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out stars.
7. Arrange between the prepared trays, spaced apart. Bake for 16-20 minutes until set and pale golden in colour.
8. Remove from the oven and let the shortbread cool on their trays, set on top of wire racks.
9. When ready to serve, dust with icing sugar and garnish with the remaining lemon zest.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
40 minutes + 1 hour chilling time
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, for greasing
- 325 g | 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 150 g | 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g | 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 70 g | 1/3 cup soft dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 300 ml buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- icing sugar, to serve