As breakfast is the most important meal of the day, make it wholesome and full of energy! Try this scrumptious Mexi Brekky Wrap packed with beans, veggies and goats cheese to help you fuel your day.
Ingredients for Buckwheat Wrap:
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2/3 cup (100g) buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of Himalayan salt (or plain sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (or light olive oil)
Ingredients for Mexi filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or light olive oil)
- 1/2 small red onion (40g), diced
- 1 medium red capsicum (200g), seeded and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup(65g) goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 1 large tomato (220g), seeded and diced
- 1 small avocado (200g), cubed
- 1 x 400g can black beans, drained, rinsed, preferably low-sodium
To make the buckwheat wrap, pour water into a bowl and whisk in the buckwheat flour until combined.
Then whisk in the cornflour and season with nutmeg and salt. Check that the consistency flows like a crepe batter. You can thicken the batter by adding a little more buckwheat flour or thin the batter by adding a little water if necessary.
Lightly oil a 22cm (base measurement) heavy-based non-stick frying pan with a little coconut oil then pour in a 1/3 cup batter.
Tilt the pan to coat the base, creating a thin and consistent layer of batter. Cook for 1 minute and then flip over with a spatula to cook on the other side for a few more seconds. Now remove the wrap, allow to cool down on a plate and then place a sheet of grease proof paper on the top before repeating the process to make more wraps.
To make the Mexi filling, heat the coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the onion until it has softened and capsicum until it is slightly charred, which should roughly take 5 minutes.
Add in the black beans and chilli flakes then stir for another 3 minutes. Now lightly season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, stir in the cheese, add to the pan and cook on a low heat for about 3 minutes. Then mix the tomato and avocado together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Place a wrap on a plate and top with black bean mixture, scrambled eggs, diced tomato and then avocado. Finally season to taste and roll it up like a burrito!
Nourish with Lorna Jane
Mexi Brekky Wrap
Salted Caramel Cups