1. Heat the olive oil in a high-sided sauté pan set over a medium heat. Add the red pepper and garlic, frying for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the spices, continue to cook for 1 minute and then stir in the chopped tomatoes and splash of water.
3. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low, cooking until thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° fan) | 400F | gas 6.
4. When the sauce is ready, season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between ovenproof serving dishes and crack two eggs into each dish.
5. Arrange the dishes between two large baking trays and bake until the eggs are set, about 10 minutes.
6. In the meantime, toast the bread in a toaster or under a hot grill.
7. Remove the dishes from the oven when ready. Let cool briefly before serving with a garnish of chopped parsley and crumbled feta. Serve with the toasts on the side.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 800 g | 4 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 large eggs
- 4 bread slices
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 80 g | 1/2 cup feta, or other firm salty cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper