Back to ideas wall
Strawberry Cake With A Carrot Cake Base And Cream Cheese
1. For the cakes: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4.
2. Grease and line three 18 cm | 7" round cake tins with greaseproof paper. Grease with butter and dust with a little flour, rotating the tins to coat. Tip out any excess.
3. Combine the oil, cream cheese, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, and ground cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Beat briefly to combine. Add the flour and beat again briefly to combine.
4. Make a well in the centre and crack in the eggs. Add the salt, sprinkling evenly over the ingredients.
5. Beat with an electric mixer on a medium speed until thoroughly combined, about 3 minutes. Add the grated carrots and beat on a low speed until combined, about 2 minutes.
6. Divide the batter between the prepared cake tins. Rap the tins on a flat surface to help settle the batter and eliminate any trapped air bubbles.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes until risen, golden-brown, and dry to the touch on top; a cake tester should come out clean from their centres.
8. Remove to wire racks to cool before turning out. Once cool, trim their tops flat with a serrated bread knife, if needed.
9. For the icing: Beat together the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and pale, 2 minutes.
10. Add the sugar and vanilla, stir well, and then continue to beat until smooth and creamy, 2 minutes. Add the water and beat again briefly to incorporate.
11. Arrange one cake on a cake stand and top with a thin layer of the icing. Arrange sliced strawberries on top, covering the icing, and then top with another thin layer of icing.
12. Repeat step 11 using the second cake. Place the final cake on top, pressing down gently to adhere to the icing.
13. Spread the top and sides of the cake with a scant layer of icing. Chill for 30 minutes.
14. After chilling, garnish the top of the cake with strawberries and daisies, if using, before serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 280 g | 2 cups plain flour, plus 1 tbsp extra for dusting
- 350 ml vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 480 g | 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 350 g | 2 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 300 g | 1 1/3 cups cream cheese, at room temperature
- 110 g | 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125 g | 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 450 g | 3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced, plus extra to serve
- fresh daisies, optional