1) Rub the lard and butter into the flour and salt, stir in the grated cheese and mustard powder and enough very cold water to make a stiff dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
2) Heat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) 350ºF, gas 4. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently cook the squash and sweet potatoes for 6-8 minutes until soft but not brown.
3) Roll the pastry out on a floured board to make a rectangle about 40x25 cm|16" x 10". Cut a strip about 1 1/2 cm|1 1/4" wide from each side of the rectangle and set aside. Lay the pastry rectangle onto a greased baking sheet.
4) Put the softened squash and sweet potato onto the pastry rectangle, scatter over the brie or camembert and the sliced red onion. Lay the pastry strips around the edges to make a border, moistening with a little water to stick them down, and brush with the beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes and serve garnished with the rocket.
- 150 g | 2/3 cup butter
- 150 g | 2/3 cup lard
- 450 g | 3 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 110 g | 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 200 g | 1 1/3 cups brie, or camembert cheese; roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- rocket (arugula), to garnish