Back to ideas wall
Victoria Sponge Style Citrus Cake With Lemon Curd And Mango
1. For the sponges: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 25 cm | 10" round cake tin with greaseproof paper. Grease and line the base of a 15 cm | 6" round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat together the margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and creamy, 3-4 minutes.
3. Beat together the eggs and lemon extract in a separate bowl. Beat the egg mixture into the creamed margarine by the scant tablespoon until incorporated.
4. Fold in the flour, in thirds, followed by the baking powder, salt, and lemon zest until you have a smooth, even batter.
5. Divide the batter between the prepared tins. Level their tops and then bake for 22-30 minutes until golden-brown and risen, rotating the tins halfway through baking; the larger sponge will take longer.
6. Remove to wire racks to cool when ready.
7. To assemble: Once cool, turn out the sponges from their tins and trim their tops flat with a serrated bread knife, if needed.
8. Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract until semi-stiff peaks form.
9. Carefully divide each sponge into three even pieces, cutting horizontally through each sponge to yield six pieces in total.
10. Spread two of the three larger sponge pieces with lemon curd. Top each with a layer of whipped cream before stacking on top of each other on a cake stand.
11. Carefully arrange the final larger sponge piece on top, pressing down gently to adhere to the cream. Top with a layer of the cream.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11, using the smaller three sponges this time.
13. To serve: Halve the passionfruit, scooping out the pulp and seeds on the top of the cake.
14. Halve, pit, peel, and cut the mango into slices or wedges, arranging them on top of the passionfruit.
15. Garnish the perimeter of the cake with rosemary sprigs and flowers, if using. Top the cake with more flowers before serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 15 minutes
- 350 g | 1 1/2 cups margarine, softened
- 350 g | 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 350 g | 2 3/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 60 g | 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 475 g | 2 cups lemon curd
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe passionfruit
- rosemary sprigs
- decorative flowers, optional