What’s better than cake? A delicious Banana Cake! Follow our recipe and create a dessert that will be sure to be a hit in your household.
1. For the sponges: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 23 cm | 9" high-sided cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Stir together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter and both sugars with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Beat in the vanilla and then the eggs, one by one, until fully incorporated. Gradually stir in about half the flour mixture followed by the mashed bananas, sour cream, and milk.
5. Stir in the remaining flour mixture and then the walnuts to complete the batter. Spoon and scrape it into the tin, rapping the tin on a flat surface to help settle it.
6. Bake until risen and dry to the touch, about 40-50 minutes; a toothpick should come out clean from the centre when ready. Remove the tin to a wire rack, letting the cake cool completely.
7. To decorate: Once the cake is completely cool, turn it out onto a serving plate or platter.
8. Whip the cream with the icing sugar, banana liqueur, and vanilla in a mixing bowl until semi-stiff peaks form. Peel and slice the bananas.
9. Spread about one-third of the cream on top of the cake and decorate the perimeter with a ring of banana slices, overlapping them. Spoon the remaining cream into the centre and spread it out towards the banana slices.
10. Top with walnuts before slicing and serving.
For more everyday inspiration, updates on the latest trends and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 20 minutes
- 375 g | 3 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g | 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100 g | 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 100 g | 1/2 cup soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 4 medium bananas, very ripe, mashed
- 225 g | 1 cup sour cream
- 120 ml whole milk
- 100 g | 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 40 g | 1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp banana liqueur, e. g. , DeKuyper crème de banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas
- 4 tbsp walnuts, crushed or chopped