Back to ideas wall
Chocolate Brownies with mini Easter Eggs and yellow Icing
1) For the brownies: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20 cm | 8" square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
2) Combine the cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and half the melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat well.
3) Gradually beat the boiling water into the cocoa powder mixture. Melt the chocolate in a microwaveable bowl, microwaving on high in 10-second bursts, until smooth. Stir into the cocoa powder mixture.
4) Add the remaining melted butter along with the sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla extract, milk, and salt, beating well until smooth.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared tin and rap firmly a few times on a flat work surface to release any trapped air bubbles.
6) Bake for 35-45 minutes until the edges of the brownie start to pull away from the sides of the tin; the top of the brownie should be cracked and dry to the touch. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
7) Once cool, turn out and cut into squares.
8) To decorate: Mix the icing sugar with 1 tbsp hot water in a mixing bowl to make a smooth pourable icing; add more water as needed to thin it out.
9) Colour with a drop or two of yellow food colouring, stirring until uniformly coloured. Add the dulce de leche and double cream, and stir again to incorporate.
10) Drizzle the icing over the cut brownies with a tablespoon. Top each brownie with halved mini crème-filled chocolate eggs before serving.
- 110 g | 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150 g | 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 120 ml boiling water
- 75 g | 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 450 g | 2 cups golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 220 g | 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 80 g | 2/3 cup icing sugar
- natural yellow food colouring
- 2 tbsp dulce de leche
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 10 mini crème-filled chocolate eggs, halved