Two of our favourite things combined into one: potato and pancakes! These gluten-free potato cakes with soy sauce, carrots and sweet cabbage are a great side dish to any meal, or taste just as delicious as a snack. Simple and quick to make with only a few ingredients, kids of all ages will love this healthy take on the classic potato cake recipe.
1. For the cakes: Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until just tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Drain well and leave to cool briefly before mashing in a bowl with the olive oil, nutritional yeast, cornflour, and salt.
3. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375F | gas 5.
4. Grease the holes of a 12-hole cupcake tin with some olive oil. Divide the potato mixture between the holes of the tin, pressing into the base and sides of each hole to make a cup.
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden and set. Remove the tin to a wire rack to cool.
6. For the filling: Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan set over a medium heat. Add most of the cabbage (reserving some for a garnish) and the carrots to the pan with a pinch of salt.
7. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently. Stir in the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and pepper to taste; add more soy sauce or rice wine vinegar as desired.
8. Spoon the filling into the potato cups and top with the reserved cabbage. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped chervil and some more freshly ground black pepper before serving.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member
to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
Prep and cook time: 1 h 15 min | Cooking time: 1 h | Total time: 1 h 15 min
- For the cakes
- 4 floury potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For the filling
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 green or white cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 3-4 tbsp dark soy sauce, to taste
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch chervil, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper