We have a feeling you’ll be coming back for seconds when you tuck into our cheesy potato and cauliflower bake – the ultimate comfort food recipe for a cold evening. A great dish to whip up for an easy weeknight dinner, or even meat-free Monday (it’s vegetarian), there’ll be plenty of approving nods around the dinner table with this delicious dish.
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375F | gas 5.
2. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and cook until just soft to the tip of a knife, about 10-12 minutes, adding the cauliflower to the water after about 8-9 minutes cooking. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan set over a medium heat until hot. Whisk in the flour and cook until light blonde in colour, about 2 minutes.
4. Gradually whisk in the milk in a slow, steady stream until fully incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook steadily, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and whisk in the Cheddar, Parmesan, goat's cheese, and some salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the cheese are evenly melted and blended into the sauce.
6. Drain the vegetables and pat dry with kitchen pepper. Slice the potatoes and arrange in an oval baking dish, pouring over the cheese sauce. Scatter the thyme on top.
7. Bake until golden-brown on top and bubbling at the edges, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
For more everyday inspiration, updates on the latest trends and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 kg | 6 1/2 cups new potatoes
- 1 small cauliflower, prepared into small florets
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 700 ml milk
- 100 g | 1 cup Cheddar, grated
- 100 g | 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 50 g | 1/3 cup soft goat's cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- freshly ground black pepper