Stockland today celebrated the Ballarat region’s newest shopping precinct, officially opening the $37 million redevelopment of Stockland Wendouree Shopping Centre.
Hundreds of local residents joined Mayor, Cr Samantha McIntosh to celebrate this morning, excited to get their first look at the new Stockland Wendouree, which now offers customers a choice of over 100 retailers including Skechers, Bonds, Forever New and Sportsgirl.
Stevie Wright, Centre Manager at Stockland Wendouree, says: “We’re very excited to deliver a first class retail experience for this booming area of regional Victoria that will meet the needs of the community now and well into the future.
“Ballarat has been identified as one of the largest and fastest growing regional cities in Victoria and our local customers deserve the very best quality shopping, dining, lifestyle and entertainment options.1
“Importantly, this project has had a multiplier effect on the economy in Ballarat and has generated more than 500 new jobs the during construction as well as an additional 250 ongoing jobs in retail, customer service, operations and hospitality.”
Mayor, Cr Samantha McIntosh said: “The new Stockland Wendouree Shopping Centre is a great asset for Ballarat, bringing new opportunities and new jobs for our community.
“With a vast range of unique dining and shopping experiences, Stockland Wendouree will be a great leisure precinct for the whole community to enjoy.”
The crown jewel of the redevelopment is a new full-line 3,800 square metre Woolworths, offering the latest fresh food innovations, including an artisan delicatessen and on site bakery.
The new laneway dining precinct was also unveiled today, featuring both indoor and outdoor seating as well as a range of casual dining choices including Melbourne restauranteur Billy’s Lakeside Restaurant, Tokyo Sukiyaki House and Sushi Sushi.
In response to increasing customer demand Stockland has now added 6,700 square metres of new retail floor space to the centre, taking the total floor space to 27,651 sqm (GLA). Customers will also enjoy ample parking with 50 new car spaces added, bringing the total to over 1,200.
Sustainability has been at the forefront of the redevelopment, with Stockland investing $2.4 million into a 1.29 MW solar project. Comprising 4,381 rooftop solar panels, it will cover a roof area of approximately 7200 square metres and is expected to generate approximately 1,441,050 kWh of renewable energy per year, enough to power 373 homes.2
The redeveloped centre also includes additional features to make life easier for people of all abilities, including two new inclusive playgrounds developed in consultation with the Touched By Olivia Foundation as well as a dedicated Quiet Room designed to create a safe place for parents, carers and children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). The Quiet Room is situated inside the shopping centre’s Parent Room and provides a calm, low sensory environment, which can be used as a retreat away from the busy shopping centre.
Stevie Wright continues, “We’ve listened to the community from the very beginning and have pushed the boundaries with every element of this redevelopment, bringing together the best in retail, design, innovation and sustainability to create a vibrant centre that the whole community can enjoy.
“Not only do we offer a strong retail mix, focussing on fresh food, dining and services, we have also incorporated a number of important community initiatives into the centre.”
Notes to editor
Key components of the Stockland Wendouree redevelopment include:
- Increased the size of the centre by 6,700 square metres bringing the total floor
- space to 27,651 sqm (GLA)
- Relocated and expanded the Woolworths
- Introducing 22 new specialty shops
- Created a vibrant new indoor/outdoor laneway dining precinct
- Added 5 new casual dining outlets
- Added 2 new entries to the centre leading to the car park facing Norman Street
- Added 50 additional car parking spaces, taking the total to over 1,200
There will be over 35 exclusive centre offers* to celebrate the grand opening including:
- Laser Clinics - 50% off when you pre pay 6+ laser hair removal or skin treatments.
- Woolworths – the first 200 people through the doors at 8am on Thursday 28th June will receive a $20 Woolworths voucher.
- Sweet treats for the first 150 Forever New customers from 10:00am on Thursday 28th June.
- $1 hand rolls at Sushi Sushi between 1:00pm-2:00pm on Thursday 28th June.
- Up to 70% off Jackets, Pants and Knitwear at Connor.
- Famous Footwear, Ozmosis, Ed Harry, Smiggle all 20% off storewide.
- Priceline - Spend $50 and save $10, exclusive to Sisterclub Members.
- Ally Fashion and Noni B –50% off full priced items.
- 50% off over 370 glasses styles at Specsavers.
- Another 30% off selected sales items at Suzanne Grae.
- Another 20% off sale items at Goldmark.
- 15% off full priced stock at The Body Shop.
* Exclusions apply see in-store for details
1 Victoria In Future Data Analysis, Victorian Government
2 Based on 3 occupants per household, www.energymadeeasy.gov.au/benchmark