Join Stockland food ambassador and celebrity chef Miguel Mastre with his daughter Claudia, as they cook some Fluffy Cinnamon and Vanilla Buns for you to enjoy and cook at home.
Prepare everything you need to cook along with Miguel at home by downloading our recipe card.
1. Make sure you get all your ingredients to room temperature.
2. For the Dough: Add milk, eggs, salt, sugar, vanilla beans and butter into the bowl of the mixer. Rub with your hands the fresh yeast into the flour until dissolved and combined.
3. Using the hook attachment, mix all ingredients for the dough on slow speed for 4 minutes until the dough comes together and not sticking to the bowl.
4. Dust some flour on the bench, slightly knead for 5-10 seconds until it comes together. Put into a bowl and cover with a tea towel for 40 minutes to proof and double in size.
5. For the Filling: Using the paddle attachment beat the butter, honey, sugar and cinnamon (coffee optional) until pale and the sugar crystals have dissolved (high speed). 2-3 mins. Set aside.
6. Once dough has proofed - Lightly flour the bench and roll the dough into the shape of a rectangle the size of an A3 paper with the long side going horizontal. Make sure it’s not too thin.
7. Keeping the bench dusted with flour to avoid dough sticking. Using a butter knife or spatula spread the filling onto the dough evenly.
8. Fold in top half to half way then fold bottom half to top to enclose the filling slightly. Press with your hands to seal.
9. Cut dough in vertical strips roughly around 3cms thick, using a sharp knife cut down the length of each strip twice to make 3 strands. Plait the 3 strands together and roll up into a ball to create a knot.
10. Put all dough knots into a greased muffin tray and allow to proof again for 1 hour until it becomes fluffy.
11. Brush with egg wash and cook in oven for 20 mins at 200 degrees or until golden brown.
12. Meanwhile in oven, add sugar and water to pot to make sugar syrup. Reduce by half.
13. Remove cinnamon buns from oven, soak with sugar syrup while hot and allow to cool before you eat them all in one go. I always do. Ole!
✋ Parents / adults must do the cooking and hot activities.
👪 Adults, this event must be actively supervised and managed by you. As the parent or adult, you must decide which tasks are appropriate for your child’s motor skills and maturity. Our advice is children can help with food preparation on the counter or table. All hot activities (oven, boiling water, pan-frying etc.) must be undertaken by the adult.
♨ Kids, please be extra careful in the kitchen. Follow safety and hygiene rules as best you can. Be especially careful when you handle a knife or when you're anywhere near anything hot (stove tops, ovens, grills, etc.). Always make sure an adult is supervising you in the kitchen.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 195g Full Fat Milk I use the thick one or raw jersey
- 2 eggs free range
- 65g Caster Sugar
- 2 pinches flaky Salt
- 1 vanilla bean scraped
- 200g Unsalted Butter (room temp)
- 620g Strong White Bread Flour plus 50 for dusting and kneading
- 25g Fresh Yeast
- 120g Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 250g Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon or 3 cinnamon sugar (depend on intensity desired)
- 1 tbsp instant coffee(optional)
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Full Fat Milk
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 100g Water