It’s a time filled with infinite amounts of chocolate and the uninterrupted company of loved ones. There’s not much not to love about Easter! As we approach this tasty time of year, there are a few festive ways to get into the holiday spirit – and baking may just be the best one. Getting creative in the kitchen is the perfect way to get together, get involved, and did we mention lick the spoon?
Instead of simply snacking on mountains of eggs, why not transform your favourite treats into a masterpiece? It’s a whole lot easier than you’d think! With just a few basic ingredients sourced from your local Stockland shopping centre, you can create your very own delicious DIY Easter cake.
Watch our step-by-step video and then refer to our simple recipe to recreate this Easter-oriented delight at home. Prepare to relish in this unexpected revelation made up of everyday items and topped with bunnies, eggs and edible grass – what could be better? Dig in!
1. Unwrap cakes, and place one onto a plate.
2. Spoon on frosting, smooth with a spatula, and set the second cake on top.
3. Apply the rest of the frosting to the sides and top of cake and smooth with a spatula.
4. Place chocolate freckles on the side of the cake to cover.
5. Add 4-5 drops of food colouring dissolved in a tablespoon of water to ¾ cup shredded coconut to achieve a bright green colour.
6. Sprinkle coconut carefully over the top of the cake to resemble grass, letting some drop onto the plate.
7. With a sharp knife, make several holes around the perimeter of the freckle egg, and with a large spoon break it in half, and place one half on top of the coconut, to the side of the cake.
8. With a vegetable peeler, shave the white chocolate into flakes and place inside the halved egg to make a nest.
9. Place a few small chocolate eggs in the nest.
10. Make a winding path with the chocolate sprinkles, and place bunnies and a few small eggs around to resemble an Easter egg hunt.
11. Decorate with wafer flowers and serve.
For more everyday inspiration and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
- 2 unfilled plain sponge cakes or mud cake
- 1 container vanilla frosting
- 1 packet chocolate freckles
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- Green food colouring
- 1 Darrel Lea chocolate freckle egg
- ½ bar white chocolate
- ¼ cup chocolate sprinkles
- 2 small chocolate bunnies
- Small chocolate eggs of your choice
- Wafer flowers for decoration