Pavlova features on many Australian dining tables year-round but perhaps it’s time to try adding a tasty twist to the age-old recipe? By re-invigorating the pav’ with this recipe, your dessert game will ramp-up a notch or two!
The addition of caramel creates a drizzled, decadent delight while also leaving ‘difficult’ at the door. Try this next time you entertain or want to treat yourself to a mid-week moment.
This will convert even the biggest anti-pavlova ambassador and leave them asking for more. This could be your peak cooking moment! (One that’s just as perfect as your pavlova meringue peaks!)
1. Pre-heat oven to 160ºC
2. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then add sugar one spoon at a time until the meringue is silky and shiny.
3. Reduce mixer speed and add cornflour, vinegar and lemon.
4. Continue on high speed until stiff meringue peaks form.
5. Remove the whisk attachment and drizzle the melted chocolate over the meringue. Fold through gently to create a marble effect.
6. Spoon large dollops of meringue onto a couple of baking paper lined trays. Drizzle a little more chocolate on top before transferring to the oven.
7. Turn the oven down to 110¬ºC and bake for two hours or until meringues come away from the paper without sticking.
Salted Caramelo Sauce
8. Place a pan on medium heat and melt the sugar until golden brown.
9. Remove pan from heat and whisk in the butter cube by cube, followed by the cream. Allow to cool completely, then stir through salt flakes to add crunch.
10. To serve, garnish with cream, salted caramelo sauce, shaved chocolate, and go nuts using the chocolate nuts.
Visit our hub for more Miguel Maestre recipes, news, inspiration and relish in a range of his seasonal, internationally-inspired recipes and helpful tips and make your next meal all the more memorable.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 215 g egg whites free range
- 385 g caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 drops of lemon juice
- 120 g melted and cooled milk chocolate (plus extra for garnish)
- 150 g whipped sweetened cream
- 1 Small jar Nutella
- Salted Caramelo sauce
- 210 g caster sugar
- 100 diced cold butter
- 100 ml thickened cream
- ½ tsp salt flakes
- Crushed chocolate coated macadamias, honey roasted peanuts, chocolate almonds or hazelnuts.