Add an exotic element to your classic chicken dish with Portuguese peri-peri. Delight your tastebuds and enhance your senses with a cultural sensation made simple. Try it for yourself – you’re soon coming back for seconds.
1. Preheat a BBQ grill over high heat. Lay the chicken breast down on a chopping board. Using scissors, cut along one side the back bone from neck to tail. Cut along the other side and pull the back bone out. Flip the chicken over and open out, pushing firmly on the breast bone to flatten. Lightly score to get the marinade in the flesh .Set aside.
2. To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a mortar and pestle or food processor and work into a semi-smooth paste. Season generously with black pepper and some salt. Save a little marinade for brushing. Rub marinade all over and under the skin of the chicken until well coated. Place the chicken, skin side up on the grill. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes. Brush the skin with some of the remaining marinade and turn skin side down. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from the grill and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
3. Cut the chicken into 8 portions and place on a serving board.
Grilled Corn on the Cob
4. Remove the husks and silks from the corn. Cook in simmering salted water for 10 minutes or until tender, then drain well.
5. Stir all the Kewpie Mayonnaise, Chipotle Chili, Lemon, Lime, Salt and Pepper in a bowl and mix until well combined.
6. Heat the barbecue grill. Cut each cob in half, brush with olive oil, season and cook over medium heat until nicely charred. Roll each corncob in the mayo, dust with manchego and paprika and serve with lime wedges.
Visit our hub for more Miguel Maestre recipes, news, inspiration and relish in a range of his seasonal, internationally-inspired recipes and helpful tips and make your next meal all the more memorable.
- 1 large chicken, butterflied
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 birds eye chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- Finely grated rind of 1 lime
- 3 tsp hot paprika
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper