If you’ve been asked to bring a dish to a child’s birthday party or a lunch with friends, then we have the recipe for you. Not only are our spinach and feta rolls the perfect vegetarian finger food option, you can make as many or as few as you like! But we recommend making more than you think you’ll need, because they sure are tasty!
1. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan set over a medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, sweating until softened. Stir in the spinach and a splash of water. Cover and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
3. Remove the spinach mixture from the pan and press against the sides of a colander or sieve to extract as much water as possible.
4. Chop the spinach and place in a bowl. Add the parsley, feta, and some salt and pepper to taste, stirring well. Set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375F | gas 5. Line a large rimmed baking tray with parchment paper.
6. On a lightly floured surface, stack four filo sheets on top of each other, side by side, so that you have two squares of four sheets, brushing in between the layers with olive oil so that they stick together. Cut down the middle of each stack to yield four stacked rectangles of pastry.
7. Turn the rectangles 90° to the right and spoon the filling across their bottom thirds. Brush the edges with egg wash and roll the pastry over the filling to enclose in cylinders.
8. Scrunch the ends together to roughly seal and then lift onto the baking tray. Brush the tops with more egg wash and sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
9. Bake until golden-brown all over, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool briefly before serving.
For more everyday inspiration, updates on the latest trends and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 450 g | 15 cups baby spinach, washed
- 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 150 g | 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 8 filo pastry sheets
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 medium egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- plain flour, for dusting
- freshly ground black pepper