On a chilly winter’s day, you’ll want to tuck into this deliciously warming comfort food recipe! If the smell of these tuna mornay loaded potato skins roasting away in the oven wasn’t mouth-watering enough, they’re about as simple to create as they come. Check out our top tips to achieving that perfectly roasted potato skin!
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and rub with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Bake until the skins are crisp and the flesh is soft to the tip of a knife, about 1-1 1/4 hours.
3. When ready, remove from the oven and let cool on the tray. In the meantime, stud the bay leaf to the onion using the cloves. Place in a saucepan with the milk and warm over a medium-low heat until the milk starts to steam.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan set over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a smooth roux, cooking and stirring until golden, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Strain the warm milk into a jug and then gradually whisk it into the roux until fully incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, whisking occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
6. Whisk in both cheeses, the tuna, 1 tbsp chives, and some salt and pepper to taste. Preheat the grill to hot.
7. Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out about a generous 1 tbsp potato from each half. Return the halves to the baking tray and fill with the mornay sauce.
8. Grill until golden-brown and bubbling, about 2-3 minutes. In the meantime, blanch the broccoli in a saucepan of salted, boiling water until just tender, about 3 minutes.
9. Transfer the skins and broccoli to a platter. Garnish with the remaining 1 tbsp chives before serving.
For more everyday inspiration, updates on the latest trends and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
1 hour, 45 minutes
- 4 baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/4 onion, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 650 ml whole milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 40 g | 1/2 cup plain flour
- 50 g | 1/2 cup Gruyère, grated
- 50 g | 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 175 g | 1 cup tinned tuna steak, in brine or oil, drained and flaked
- 2 tbsp chives, snipped, divided
- 200 g tenderstem broccoli
- freshly ground black pepper