Whether your family opts for Taco Tuesday, Taco Thursday or taco no-matter-what-the-day, with this recipe it will be taco’s all day, every day.
With a few ingredients you may not have considered for a Mexican fiesta, you will never go back to a standard, packet seasoning again.
Don’t let the idea of creating a seasoning from scratch deter you! This recipe has been made simple for even the busiest of school nights. Adjust the spice levels by opting in or out of the Sriracha and chilli additions, but don’t skip the paprika! It’s a key ingredient for an authentic Mexican flavour.
1. Preheat oven to 150ºC fan forced.
2. Toast the panko breadcrumbs in the oven for 10 mins or until lightly golden, then combine with the chilli flakes, dried oregano and lemon zest. Season well.
3. Dust chicken thighs in paprika, salt and pepper, shaking to remove any excess.
4. Heat a heavy based pan over medium heat.
5. Add two tablespoons of oil, then add chicken thighs. Brown well on both sides, adding additional olive oil as required.
6. Set chicken aside onto some paper towel, leaving the pan on the heat. Add chilli and garlic, stirring for one minute until it begins to soften.
7. Add the passata, Sriracha and chicken stock and bring to the boil.
8. Return chicken to the pan, reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 10 mins.
9. When the chicken is cooked, remove the thighs from the braising liquid and roll in the crumb mixture to give the appearance of fried chicken, carve ready to put on tacos.
10. Fill your taco boats with grated cheese and melt in a hot oven for 10 minutes.
11. Meanwhile, dress coleslaw ingredients with lemon juice and set aside.
12. Crush your avocado with a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon juice.
13. Remove your taco boats from the oven and dress with beetroot coleslaw, chicken and avocado. Garnish with fresh coriander, chopped chillies and lime wedges.
Miguel's Kitchen Note: Save left over tomato sauce for the quickest chilli con carne ever with cooked mince, beans and grated carrot.
Visit our hub for more Miguel Maestre recipes, news, inspiration and relish in a range of his seasonal, internationally-inspired recipes and helpful tips and make your next meal all the more memorable.
- 4 Tbsp Spanish paprika
- 4 chicken thighs de-boned
- 500g tomato passata
- 2 Tbsp Siracha chilli sauce (optional)
- 2 chillies thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 300ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 beetroot spiralised
- 1 meduim tub fresh coleslaw mix
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 1 packet (380g) panko crumbs
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 12 mini taco boats, soft tacos or taco shells
- 2 ripe avocado
- Grated manchego cheese
- Fresh coriander
- Lemons and limes