Your new favourite beauty destination is about to be somewhere you never expected – your kitchen. After all, where else is nature’s innate capacity to heal and beautify more obvious?
With our day-to-day routines changing, and more time being spent at home, the ritual of making your own beauty and body treatments offers the chance to have a spa day in the comfort of your own abode.
Skip having to book an appointment, the waiting times, and lack of privacy. These DIY beauty and body treatments are fast, easy, and to many people’s surprise – affordable!
Face: moisturising avocado mask
Coles Chobani Whole Milk Plain Yoghurt 907g $6.50, Coles Medium Lemons $1.30, Woolworths Egmont Honey Manuka Honey Mgo 50+ 250+ $12.50, Woolworths Hass Avocado Each $1.10, Woolworths Macro Organic Rolled Oats 500g $2.75.
Our skin is our body’s largest organ – much of what it soaks in from products and chemicals move into our bloodstream and onto our organs. So, it’s no surprise that choosing pure, food-based ingredients – all from your local grocery store – to care for your skin, will only do wonders.
Calm inflammation and hydrate your skin for a clear and glowing complexion with this soothing avocado, yoghurt, honey, and oat mask. Whip up this ultra-moisturising gem in no time with the following recipe.
• 1 ripe avocado
• 1/3 cup plain or Greek yoghurt
• 2 teaspoons honey
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons rolled oats
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
2. Wash face with a cleanser, dry, and then apply mask generously to face and neck
3. Let mask sit on face for 20 minutes
4. Wash mask off face and follow-up with your usual skincare routine
Hair: apple cider vinegar mask
Woolworths Cornwell's Apple Cider Vinegar 750ml $3.40, Woolworths Leatherwood Organic Honey 500g $14, Woolworths Murray River Organics Coconut Oil 330ml $5.50.
Coconut oil and apple cider vinegar are two MVPs of many hair products, and for good reason. Apple cider vinegar gently dissolves product build-up, soothes itchiness, and balances out your scalp’s pH levels. Combine this with soothing honey and moisturising coconut oil, and you’ve got the ultimate scalp-calming DIY hair mask for all hair types.
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. In a heatproof bowl, microwave the coconut oil for 45 seconds
2. Mix the honey and apple cider vinegar in with the oil
3. Work the mixture through your roots, making sure to fully saturate your scalp before moving to your ends
4. Leave on for 30 minutes before shampooing
Pro-tip: Apply this mask before going to bed – simply use a towel to cover your pillow – and allow your hair to soak up all the goodness for a full eight hours!
Body: coffee salt scrub
Coles Cinnamon Ground 41g $ 1.90, Coles Queen Finest Vanilla Pure Extract Madagascar 50mL $8, Coles Virgin Coconut Oil 500mL $6.00, Woolworths Macro Organic Raw Sugar Organic 1kg $2.55, Woolworths Vittoria Ground Coffee Rainforest Organic 200g $9.
Filled to the brim with antioxidants, ground coffee helps reduce the appearance of breakouts, scars, cellulite, and stretch marks. The base of this recipe is none other than fresh ground coffee and organic sugar or salt. Simply mix in the coconut oil, cinnamon, and vanilla extract – which will make it smell divine.
• 1 cup ground organic coffee
• 1 cup organic sugar or salt
• 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
• 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. In a heatproof bowl, melt the coconut oil for 45 seconds and allow it to cool but not solidify
2. Combine all other ingredients with the coconut oil and store in an airtight container or mason jar
3. Use 1-2 times a week (or every day, if you like!)
Lips: jojoba and peppermint scrub
Coles Virgin Coconut Oil 500mL $6, Priceline Jojoba Company Australian Jojoba Oil 30 mL $19.99, Priceline Thursday Plantation 100% Pure Peppermint Oil 25 mL $12.95, Woolworths CSR Unrefined Coconut Sugar 250g $3.50.
Skip the store-bought lip scrub and save yourself some money with this delicious DIY lip scrub. Made with sugar and essential oils in less than five minutes, not only will this scrub take your lips from chapped to plump, it also makes for a cute, handmade holiday gift to your friends or family.
• 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 8-10 drops of peppermint (or spearmint essential oil)
• 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed oil
1. Mix the sugar with a small chunk of your chosen balm
2. Add 8-10 drops of peppermint oil, then blend
3. Add jojoba oil to the mixture
4. Apply the scrub to your lips and rub it in circular motions for a few minutes
5. Rinse with lukewarm water
With all of these simple and all-natural ingredients available at your local Stockland Shopping Centre, there’s a myriad of concoctions waiting to be created by you. So, go on! It’s time to treat your skin, body, and hair from your own home.
For more everyday inspiration, updates on the latest trends and exclusive offers, register now as a Stockland Member to receive monthly updates, latest news and exclusive events from your local Stockland Shopping Centre.
This information has been provided by our Stockland retailers. All reasonable care has been taken to ensure that the information is correct at the time of the content going live. However, no warranty is given as to the accuracy of that information. The information may change from time to time without notice. Stocks are limited and only available while stocks last with individual retailers. Products may vary from location to location. Prices may also change without notice. Please contact our retailers for more information.
* Pricing of ingredients correct at time of publishing and are subject to change.